Tuesday, January 8, 2008


In school I had 3 subjects that I hated with every little bit of passion in me. The first was Physical Education. I hated it. I used to fake sick at least twice a week just to keep from having to run or play volleyball or do whatever else was on the agenda for the day. I am not an athletic person. I am not even a very active person. I don't know why, but it is something that I am having to work daily to correct. It's a goal I struggle with all the time.

Another subject I hated was science. I just wasn't good at it, therefore, I didn't like it.

The last subject that I really hated was math. This was also something I was never really good at. Numbers and I just don't get along.

Yet in some weird way, numbers control my life.

-Blood sugar numbers

-Grams of carbs

-Insulin to carb ratios

-Basal rates

-Prescription numbers



-Grams of fat

-Grams of fiber

Even my picture for today's post represents a number. The juice box that sits next to my bed in case of a nighttime low: 13 grams of carbs.

Numbers rule my world, yet they are something that I hate to think about. Something I hate to do. Ironic, isn't it?


Jillian said...

Ahh numbers do rule our worlds. I'm glad that they don't baffle me.

k2 said...

I hear you on the numbers thing sister! I never did well in math myself. How "ironicle" (yes I know it's not a word, but I'm a huge fan of Waiting for Guffman)that as diabetics we deal with numbers "Every day, Every Hour, Every Minute." It's required that we be good at math, but a large number of us hate it!
We just have to do our best and focus on achieving low numbers.
Hang in there!
Kelly Kunik

Amylia said...

I understand. I hated Math and was no good at Science and afraid of certain things in PhyEd. Grrrr...we come to terms with it, on our own terms and in our own time.


Donna said...

Hi Cara,
I hated PE & Science, too! I didn't really like math in school, but I use it all day long at my job. It's funny - I don't mind the numbers at work, but I hate the numbers when it comes to my diabetes. Then math is a pain!

Wingman said...

At least the pump has a bolus wizard!

Cara said...

Jillian-Be very glad they don't baffle you!!! :)
k2-I sometime wonder if my distane of math comes from all the numbers in my life...
Amylia-I have somewhat some to terms with the Science. Its just too bad it was AFTER I got out of college... :)
Donna-I deal with numbers at work on a semi-regular basis. I don't mind them there either. I just hate the diabetes part!
Wingman-I actually thing my math skills have gone down since getting my pump! :)

Scott K. Johnson said...

I too hate math, and I think it's because of the D. Grrr.