Sunday, July 6, 2014

Blind Sided by Love

I’m falling in love. I’ve never really been in love before. At least not like this. I’m finding myself smiling at the strangest times of day and giggling over the craziest things. The strangest thing about the whole deal is that I feel like I’ve been blind-sided by the whole experience. They say that it usually happens that way. You like someone well enough and end up going out on a date. It’s not a terrible date, so you
go out on another. The next thing you know you’re in major crush territory.

Don’t panic. There is no knew significant other in my life… at least not in the traditional sense. I feel like I’m falling in love with my new town. I’ve always liked Nashville well enough. I knew that I wanted to be in a city larger than where I grew up. I also knew that I didn’t want to move terribly far away from my family and my hometown. So I agreed to go out on a date with Nashville.

When I moved here 7 months ago, I knew that I would enjoy it. I wasn’t sure how long it would last or where it would lead me, and in many ways I’m still unsure. But the more I’m here and the more I find out about my new home, the more I love it. I find myself smiling at the Nashville skyline every single day on my commute to work. I find myself being a tourist and heading to places I’ve never been before, in spite of growing up less than three hours away from here. I find myself looking for new places to eat and new places to find theatre and music.

I’m slowly finding friends, some I’ve known online, others I work with, and some I’ve met since I moved here. I’m learning my way around town and I now can say I successfully travel without my GPS more often than with it. I am learning the little things about this place. The public transit is lacking (hey, Nashville, let’s work on this, k?), traffic during rush hour is ridiculous, but you always know you can find some good music almost anywhere you go and that people are generally kind-hearted and courteous. I’m learning the best (and cheapest) places to park downtown and how when the best times are to eat at certain restaurants. I’m finding the places that the tourists aren’t (thanks in part to many of my new friends), and enjoying every second of it.

Over the holiday weekend Nashville had a Fourth of July fireworks show (appropriately titled “Let Freedom Sing”) at Riverfront Park downtown. I decide to brave the crowds (estimated afterwards to be around 215,000) and headed with a friend to see what was named by the American Pyrotechnics Association at #2 in the nation. I’m so glad I went. It was a spectacular show, but it was also when I realized that I was falling in love with Nashville and WHY.

Despite the fact that there were over 200,000 people descending on a very small area of Nashville this may have been the most laid back and calm I’ve ever seen at a large event like this. I’ve been to a lot of things like this in several different cities. There were police everywhere on the Fourth, but no one seemed stressed. No one was in a hurry. No one was pushing or being rude or inconsiderate. Even compared to CMA Music Fest, this was a whole different creature. I chalked that up to the fact that CMA Music Fest was mostly tourists, while the Fourth of July celebration was mostly locals.

Even more shocking was how easy and calm it was to get out of downtown after the event. Again, there was no rushing, shoving, pushing, or stress. Obviously it did take a little while, with so much traffic, but it still wasn’t stressful. All in all, the experience was what sums up Nashville: laid back with plenty of the courtesy that Southerners are known for.

I can’t tell you if my major crush on Nashville will develop into full-fledged love (though I’m inclined to think that it’s already there). I don’t know if it will be a long term love, or if it may fizzle out over time. I don’t know what the future holds for me and my new beau. But I can say that I am enjoying every second of this new relationship and all the joy it is giving me along the way.


Author’s note: I apologize that I haven’t been blogging more often, but the last year has been a year of changes and crazy for me. Perhaps I’ll be able to get back into it slowly. I can promise I’ll never abandon it completely, but I can’t promise how active I’ll be in my blogging. Either way, I’m always around. You can email me or find me on facebook or twitter. 

4 comments:

Scott E said...

This makes me smile. So glad you enjoy your new (is it really still new?) home!

Jami said...

I love this, I love that you're comfy there, I love that you love it, I love that you're Home.

Unknown said...

I love hearing your love story, and hope your heart continues to find joy in your home everyday ;)

Anonymous said...

I love being a tourist in my own town, no matter how long you live somewhere there's always something new to discover. :)