I took this quiz today on FoxNews in their health section. This is a gross misconception on the last question that lumps all diabetics together. It disturbs me. Continually. The only positive thing I can say is that the answer does state it is Type 2 diabetics. But they answer I gave should have been correct also. Sigh
Dr. Manny's Health Quiz
Your correct answers are in grey and your incorrect answers are in red.
1. People with diabetes frequently experience certain symptoms including feeling thirsty, frequent urination, weight loss and blurry vision.
Right! The correct answer is true: Not only are all these symptoms associated with diabetes, people may also experience irritability, tingling or numbness of the hands and feet and wounds that won't heal.
2. People get diabetes by consuming excessive amounts of sugar over a lifetime.
Right! The correct answer is false: Although diabetes can occur in anyone, some risk factors include family history, obesity, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and physical inactivity.
3. There is no effective treatment available for diabetes.
Right! The correct answer is false: Although there are certain differences in treatment between type 1 or type 2 diabetes, there are treatments which include having a meal plan, exercise, insulin injections and oral agents which all could help manage the high levels of sugar in the body.
4. Poorly managed diabetes can lead to heart attacks, strokes, blindness, kidney failure and blood vessel damage.
Right! The correct answer is true: By not keeping your sugars in as normal range as possible, cell destruction will begin to occur and ultimately, your overall health will begin to deteriorate.
5. Diabetes can be prevented.
Wrong! The correct answer is true: Type 2 diabetes or adult onset diabetes can be prevented by changing your lifestyle. Even small things like modest weight loss (10% of your body weight) and modest physical activity (30 minutes of exercise per day) can prevent you from developing diabetes.