Thursday, October 8, 2009

Giddy

Okay, I'm not really giddy. But it's the only word I could think of that was a synonym of Glee.

Let me start out by saying that this is another non-diabetic related post. Then let me continue by saying that I am a total nut. Most of you have already figured that out, but for those of you who haven't, you have been warned.

From some of my previous posts, you guys should know by now that I am a music nut and a theater nut.

And Fox Network has totally created the perfect show for me. Several months ago, Fox aired a pilot episode of Glee. When they aired it, I watched and LOVED it. I also stated to a friend of mine that it probably wouldn't last a season. Not because I didn't love the show, but because I didn't think that other people (we'll call them "normal" for the sake of this blog post) would appreciate the wonder that is Glee.

Apparently I was wrong. Glee has been a huge hit for Fox. I love it for all the reasons that most of the "normal" people do: Great music, cool dancing, and cheesy "Election" type filming.

And then I have my own reason: the cast of Broadway stars.
First off is Lea Michele, who plays Rachel on the show. Rachel is the "leader" of glee club and the star of glee as well. Lea Michele also originated the lead role of Wendla in the Tony Award Winning Spring Awakening (to which I have the soundtrack memorized...but have never been lucky enough to see).
Next, Matthew Morrison, who plays Will Schuester, their teacher, and advisor for glee club. Matthew Morrison originated the roll of Link Larkin in Hairspray on Broadway. Remember that little roll played by Zach Efron in the movie? Same roll. I say "Zach who?". I also have that soundtrack memorized....buy only got to see a local theater group perform the show this summer. No Broadway.
Also, Jenna Ushkowitz, who play Tina, another glee club member, was in Spring Awakening with Lea Michele for a while, although I do not believe she was in the original cast.

Then, two weeks ago, in an episode of Glee, there was a guest role. April was a former classmate of Mr. Schuester. April was played by Kristin Chenoweth. Kristin was in You're A Good Man Charlie Brown, when I saw it on Broadway in 1999. She won a Tony for that role. She then originated the role of Galinda/Glinda in Wicked. You guys have seen me post about Wicked. :)

So, as you can tell, it feeds into my addiction of Broadway....I'm just glad other people seem to like it. :) It means I might get to keep watching it for a while.

So, watch Glee tonight! I'll be at church. But tomorrow night is when I Hulu it. Oh, and I'll be buying the first season on DVD.

Below I am posting a video of one of the songs they did last week on Glee. It's not the best quality. But if you watch it, you'll get the idea of the show.







By the way, you can follow Glee on Twitter and Facebook.

P.S. Are any of you enjoying Glee as much as I am??

2 comments:

George said...

My favorite show on TV is Glee. I love it for all the same reason you do.

I too thought that it would be short lived since normal people require a laugh track to know whats funny. I figured it was too smart of a show, like Arrested Development, but luckily it has found a following. Go "New Directions!"

Julie said...

I love Glee, too! I appreciate that the singing and dancing is natural, meaning they don't just burst out into song in the middle of the cafeteria.