Wednesday, April 7, 2010

New Creation, New Method

You all know I live in the South. :) And while many of the things you hear about the South are nothing but myth (YES, we have indoor plumbing. And shoes. And some of us even have college degrees! LOL), other things you may hear lean more toward being truth, than myth.
One of those things (at least where I grew up) is the plethora of camouflage that takes residence in the closets of most of us in the South.
Hunting and camo are pretty regular things in my area. I even had a teacher in 8th grade that actually took the first day of hunting season off work. Totally not lying about that. :P
Anyway, for sometime now, I've wanted to do a camo cake. I had seen some that I liked and some I didn't, but I'd never had anyone to make one for. Most of the people in my family aren't hunters. We have more fishermen.
A couple of weeks ago, I had an "emergency" text from a friend requesting a last minute cake for a child's birthday. And by last minute, I mean VERY last minute. It was about noon on Saturday and they needed it Sunday morning. Luckily, I had a free evening and the desire to bake, so I said yes and asked what kind of things the child was interested in.
As soon as the word "hunting" came out of her mouth, I knew what I wanted to do. Camo cake, here I come!

I understood the basic concept of getting the icing on there. I have learned almost everything I know about cake decorating from the website CakeCentral. I highly suggest it if you are at all interested in learning the art that is cake decorating.
I made my 5 icing colors (I am missing one of the bags in the picture) and got started. Basically, after filling the layers, and adding a crumb coat (a very thin layer of icing that you decorate over), I put the cake in the freezer for about 15 minutes.
When I took it out, I took the 4 camo colors and iced over the whole thing. This is what it looked like at that point:


Not very pretty, huh? I didn't think so either. LOL. I then used a method called the Viva method to smooth the icing out all over the cake.
And no camo is complete without hunting orange accents. So I took orange decorator gel with a small amount of red gel to give it the proper color. A put an orange border and letters on the cake and this is how it turned out:



It was surprisingly easy to make and everyone seemed to be really happy with it. So, mission accomplished. :)






5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are really talented!! I want to give cake decorating a try, but the only thing I can cook/bake well is pie. I might take a look at that website to check it out.

GOOD JOB CARA!! It looks great. :)

Karen said...

Wow!!!! I think I saw it on FaceBook and loved it - but it was so much fun to hear all about the creation of it. I can't believe that was your first ever camo cake. I'm very impressed (as always).

Lee Ann Thill said...

I love seeing your cake creations, and this one is very impressive. I imagine if I attempted that, it would have looked like camouflage that had been submerged in mud ;)

Cherise said...

OMG! I am so excited to learn how to bake and decorate cakes! I am so excited.

Unknown said...

Ha! That is AWESOME!