Friday, August 22, 2008

Weekend Pointless Post

Okay, has anyone seen the new JC Penny's commercial? The spoof of the Breakfast Club? I can't decide if I love it or hate it.
Technically, it's target audience is the Junior High/High School age children from about 12 thru 18. At least, that's what I would think a commercial that's advertising back to school clothing would be aimed at.
But yet The Breakfast Club was release in 1985. The year I was diagnosed with diabetes. I remember the movie growing up. In fact, I have it in my DVD collection as part of my tribute to all things 80s. It sits on my media stand right next to Pretty in Pink and St. Elmo's Fire.
People my age and a little older, we "get" this commercial. I would venture to say that most of the children that this commercial is targeting have never seen this movie.
I may be wrong, but I can tell you that my 14 year old nephew, my 19 year old niece, and my 12 year old sister have never seen it.
So basically, love it? Hate it? I still can't decide.



I know it's not diabetes related today, but it's what I was thinking. :)
If nothing else, enjoy the video. And have a wonderful, stress free weekend.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the comment! :) Wheat chex is now my favorite cereal ever!! :) but i agree, cereal is always so hard to allow for.

anyway, I love your blog! I'm adding your link to my site after this!
Have a great weekend! :]

Jillian said...

I'm 16 and I've seen the Breakfast Club! I have the DVD too, and I'm pretty sure most of my friends have watched it with me at sometime or another. I knew exactly what the commercial was based on from the first few seconds, but I'm not sure if I love it exactly. I think it's somewhat creative to bring what is old and try to make it new for a slightly younger generation.

Cara said...

Jillian-You ROCK!! :D

Donna said...

Cara - I like this one. It makes me laugh every time I see it.

I loved those 80s movies, too. They just don't make 'em like that anymore. So I'm glad we can have them on DVD.