The base was foam board that I glued black paper on, and my friend added the smaller black lines with a Sharpie. Then I covered it with saran wrap to make it food safe (even though the cake wasn't going to be eaten.
Then, my friend sat and cut out zebra stripes. First with and exact-o knife, and then with a pizza cutter (it went faster and made smoother cuts). As she cut them, I placed them on the iced bases using a little water and a paintbrush so that the fondant would stick.
Here's my friend's contribution of a little heart...and we were almost done. It was nearly midnight and we were sooooooo tired!
The inspiration for the whole thing came from the topper, which I found in the floral section of a hobby store.
I ended up winning first place, but not best of show. That went to a loaf of blueberry lemon bread. But we had fun and I got some experience that I didn't have before. :) I hope you guys enjoy it all.