Wednesday, November 14, 2007

World Diabetes Day 2007


Today is World Diabetes Day 2007. I didn't do anything special on this day. I should have, and feel like others may have done more than I. It passed, just like any other day for me. My hope, however, is that others that don't have to live with diabetes every day, had their eyes opened to the struggle that so many in the world make every single day.

Some of you were in another country, watching the lights make the world aware of the day. Some of you were able to highlight the effect that diabetes has on the people around the diabetic. Some wrote beautiful posts about diabetes and how it exists in your world. There was even a post with everyone's favorite diabetes spokesperson.

All over the world, buildings lit up, people joined together and spoke out about diabetes. Even though I feel like I should have done something on this day, I know that there are others out there, like me, who woke up this morning wishing that there was no need for a World Diabetes Day. Knowing that today was going to be a bad day blood sugar wise (and it was. Believe me, it was.) and wishing that there was no diabetes.

Today was another day that I don't get a day off. I don't get a break. I don't get to eat what I want without a care. I don't get to go more than 4 hours without a test. To be honest, I didn't even want to test today. It seemed too much for me. Too hard. Too time consuming. But I did it, although not as often as I should have.

My hope is not only that people become aware of diabetes and its global effect, but that there is a CURE in the near future. So I can have my day off. Twenty-two years is a long time to not get a day off. I'd really like that chance.

3 comments:

Jillian said...

Thanks for linking to me Cara. I actually posted twice today. The first time was my pessimistic view on today. The second is the one from my sister. I want that day off for all of us, and I hope it comes sooner rather than later.

Unknown said...

You are so right. A lifetime of never having a day off. Maybe that's why I like to sleep. It gives me time off. I usually don't wake up to test at night, so that is my time off. Also prob part of why I'm resistant to test at night--I want a break, I suppose.

I share your sentiment of wishing there was no need for such a day. My BG was shitty on WDD, too. Ironic or maybe just typical, I dunno. Anyway, I am thinking of you and thank you for posting.

Donna said...

I can't imagine a whole day off from diabetes - wow! What would I do if there was actually a cure? It's mind-boggling! But I'd take it. I know you would, too. I hope tomorrow is a better day for you.