Thursday, July 10, 2008

Busy, Busy, Busy...

Where does diabetes fit in?
I have been so busy these past several weeks, both with work, family, and friends. I've had a million things on my mind. And it would have been very easy for me to "forget" my diabetes.
We all know that we never really forget it. It's always there, hovering, waiting, acting up without much notice.
Just like the title of my blog, it's around us every day, every hour, every minute.
But these past several weeks I have been very glad for my CGMS. If not for this contraption that the insurance companies like to call "investigational", I can assure you my blood sugars would have been completely out of control.
I have forgotten to test before some meals, I have skipped meals, I have dealt with all the food on the Fourth of July. I have stayed up late some days, slept in late other days, and have basically lost my normal schedule. CGMS has kept me somewhat grounded during this time. Beeping at me occasionally to tell me my blood sugar is low, or high, or that I need to calibrate.
It's allowed me to correct several times, keeping me from having a single blood test over 298. Yes, I know that's high, but on that day, it would have kept on rising had I not had my pump beeping at me like crazy saying "Hey, stupid! You ate a piece of cake! You are supposed to give more insulin when you eat cake!" And I may not have caught it until the high 300s.
I have had so many things on my mind that I have let diabetes slide, ever so slightly, to the background. And CGMS has helped me let that happen. According to my pump, the last month's average blood sugar: 143. Average sensor readings: 130.
I know it's not perfect, but it's nice to know that CGMS is here to help me when I'm feeling like I need to have other things on my mind and in my life, other than just my diabetes.
Still, we fight. Some of us are lucky, and get approved for CGMS. Some of us, like Kerri, aren't so lucky, and she still fights on.
I just look forward to the day when we are no long tied to a machine (or two) that helps us control our blood sugars. I want to stay healthy. I want to stay as complication free as possible. Because I think that there is hope of a cure and better control for all of us.
So even if you are like me: busy, busy, busy. Just do your best to keep yourself healthy. CGMS helps me to do that.
I know this post has been kind of rambly, but it's because I have so many different thoughts going on in my head right now.
I'll post again in a few days when I've had time to get my life back to normal. :)

2 comments:

Donna said...

I'm glad you've got your CGMS to help you during those very busy times. Your averages look great! Congratulations!

meanderings said...

I'm impressed by your numbers - even with cake. And I truly believe we all deserve some cake every now and then.
Your CGMS allows you to have a life and take care of yourself.
I find it sad that others have to fight so hard to convince insurance companies that they need and would use a CGMS.