Thursday, July 3, 2008

Meter Mania!

Okay, Amylia wrote a blog post that made me want to write one. Inspiration I'll say. Thanks Amylia!
I am not the most organized person. I like to say I'd lose my head if it weren't attached to my shoulders. I loose my car keys, a DVD, my wallet, my bills. Since i got my pump, I can't say that I have ever thought I lost it, like Amylia did, but I can say that I have thought I lost my meter many, many times.
I can't remember how old I was, but I remember my meter was pretty big. I couldn't have been more than 7. My mom and I, and another person (I don't remember who, just that there was another person there) were shopping in a different town. My town is so small that you have to go out of town to get anything other than a Wal-Mart. Actually, at the time this story takes place, we didn't even have a Wal-Mart. Just a Dollar General and a Family Dollar. So any time we went out of town it was a big deal.
I remember mom handing me my meter in a store and telling me to check my blood sugar. She helped me. I don't remember much after that, but for whatever reason, I was carrying my meter. And at some point, I sat it down and forgot to pick it back up...
Fast forward a little while and my mom asks me where my meter is. I can't remember. I'm scared. I think I was more scared of being in trouble than I was that my meter was gone. We tried to back track to find it. We couldn't. We went to stores that we had visited, retraced our steps, talked to managers. Nothing. This meter was gone.
My mom was mad. Looking back, I don't think she was mad at me. I think she was mad at herself for letting me carry my meter. I was so young.
This was around 1988. Meters were still very expensive. You couldn't go get one for $30 or $40. And companies weren't giving them away like they do now. So this was a very big deal.
There are so many other stories of times I have lost, or thought I lost, my meter. This one just happens to be the earliest one that I remember.

2 comments:

Donna said...

I remember those meters. I had one that was the size of a brick and about as heavy. I'll bet your meter was quite a handful for a 7-year-old. If I remember right, I believe mine was noisy, too. Ahh, the good old days. I'm so glad we have these little, quiet ones now and that they're so much easier to replace if we lose one.

k2 said...

Brick sized meters - I never lost mine, but boy did I want to! I hated it! My father used to make us cut the strips in two to make the last longer!
k2