Friday, July 11, 2008

Sick

I posted yesterday about how great my CGMS is. Sometimes, though, I just need a break from it. I never take more than a few days at a time off.

Today was the perfect example why I don't leave CGMS off more often than I do. I took the CGMS off yesterday afternoon.

I woke up with a high blood sugar this morning. It was 250. I corrected, proceeded to get ready for work and when I checked my blood sugar before I grabbed a quick bite of breakfast, it was already down to 153.

At lunch: 119.

I ate cereal for lunch. I know it wreaks havoc on my blood sugars. I almost never keep it in the house because of this. I LOVE cereal. I could eat it 3 meals a day if it weren't for my blood sugars.

I bought a box of cereal the other day. I ate cereal for lunch.

Two hours post lunch at around 2:00: 278. Correction.

I knew my blood sugar was high this afternoon. I have been running to the bathroom and drinking water like crazy. My breath was even beginning to smell bad. I know this isn't good. I know it's a sign of ketoacidosis. By the time I got off work at 4:30, I was feeling physically ill. I checked again: 298.

Another correction. I am still drinking water and running to the bathroom. And on top of that, my breath smells funny and I feel sick to my stomach.

For all of you that worry about me, I'll be fine in a couple of hours. I will keep a close watch on it and if it seems to get worse, I will certainly go the the hospital. But for now, I am not worried. Just sick.

And wishing I had put on my CGMS this morning. It will go back on first thing in the morning, that you can be sure of. If I'd had it on in the first place, I would have caught the high before it got this bad.

3 comments:

Donna said...

Cara,
I love cereal, too. But it does the same thing to me so I rarely eat it. Don't you just hate that? It tastes so good, but it's so bad for us.

I hope you start feeling better soon. Take care of yourself. :)

andrew motolano said...

I love cereal, too, but it's mostly Wheaties and Special K these days. I think I may need to bolus up and have some Lucky Charms someday soon.

..M.. said...

Cereal - blergh! I gave it up a long time ago, it's just not worth the hassle (Though I have to admit I sometimes give in to half a bowl of coco pops with some careful planning & early bolusing. A gal's gotta do what a gal's gotta do!)

And yes Cara you're most welcome to use my Cookie Monster pic - It's nice to have my stuff appreciated! Thanks for your comment :)