Friday, February 13, 2009

Exhibit A

Reasons Why I need CGMS to continue....

Last Saturday I took my sensor off. It was dead and I only had one left. With the whole insurance deal, I didn't know how long it would be until I heard something. So I spent the entire week "bare". I have run all over the board since then. I've had crazy highs and some lows. But none like hit me last night.
My mom and sister came over to hang out and help me get ready for my trip I am taking this weekend. While they were hear we ate dinner and I began to work on some Valentine's Day cupcakes I was taking to work today.
Suddenly I started feeling a little "off". When I tested I was 31. Three juice boxes, 5 BG tests, cold sweats, and numb lips later, my mother was crying and I was just becoming a normal human again. I never lost consciousness, but looking back on it, I think I probably could have used a trip to the ER. I didn't go. But it would have been quicker than waiting on my own.
Since I moved out of my parent's home when I was 18, I haven't lived with them again. That's been nearly 10 years. I don't typically mention my ups and downs of diabetes to my mom. I just don't think of it as that big a deal. It's just part of life.
But last night left my mother in tears. And I hate myself for that. I know it's not my fault and that she loves me, but I hate to worry her. She raised me with this disease. She knows the ins and outs. But time tends to mask the evils of this disease. You "forget" over time.
Last night's horrible low was a Diabetes 101 updated crash course for my mom. And I hate that she had to deal with it.
This, Dear Insurance Company, is why I need coverage for my MiniMed CGMS. Not because it would save my mother some tears, but because it might keep me alive. If they hadn't been here, I don't know what would have happened.

On a plus note, I am back on the sensor. Currently the only one I have left. And I am off for a long weekend to see my friend in the D.C. area.
I'll be offline until sometime Monday night. I hope all of you have a fantastic Valentine's Day weekend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cara,
I have to hold off on shipping you those sensors until my insurance approves my order. There was a delay in the approval because many insurance companies have changed their policy. Superficially it doesn't look like there is going to be any problems..... but I'm not 100% certain. I will find something out tomorrow..... I'm so so sorry Cara. I will get the stuff shipped as soon as I get the OK.

:( Kevin

Anchower said...

I have a blogger I.D. now Cara....lol :)

Kevin