Thursday, February 26, 2009

Missing...

Okay, so I've been pretty much absent from the internet for the past week. I hate that, but I've done little more than check my e-mail. I simply haven't had time and haven't felt well.

I fought a cold all week last week and by Saturday, I thought I had it beat. That is until I woke up Sunday morning feeling like I'd been hit by a truck. And I've pretty much felt that way since. Last night I broke down and asked the pharmacist what I should take. My normal cold meds just weren't cutting it. I've not wanted to go to the doctor since everyone else in my town has strep, or the flu, or the stomach virus. I figured I could tough out a cold. By last night, I was beginning to second guess myself.

Turns out, my pharmacist is a pretty smart guy. He recommended a med to me and within a couple of hours I began to feel much better. For the first time in days, I slept through the night (I could BREATH!!) and woke up feeling like a new person. I still am a little coughy and yucky, but I can deal with it.

Last week, while I was fighting to keep this silly cold away, I was also working on the baby shower cake for a friend of mine. My gift to her, along w/ a baby blanket that I knitted. "Why," you may ask, "did you work on a cake all week long?" Well, if you've ever watched Ace of Cakes, you know it can take FOREVER to do the detailing work. I worked for an hour Tuesday night, two hours on Wednesday and Thursday nights, and Friday night from 5 until 11. I was able to finish it up on Saturday morning in about an hour. Whew! But it was worth it. It went over wonderfully and I was pretty darn proud of myself.

I am constantly trying new things. This was a very new thing to me. And I am always working to get things perfect. While this wasn't perfect, I was proud of my first effort at a design like this.

Anyway, I am hoping that I will be completely recovered by the weekend, since my sister is spending the night with me on Friday and we are heading to Nashville on Saturday morning to shop (her!) and go to a cake show (me!).

Hopefully I will get to post another blog or two as well...

8 comments:

Lora said...

If this is the work you do when you're sick, I'd love to see what you do when you're well! Where were you two years ago when I had to build my own cupcake tower for my wedding?! Glad you're feeling better.

Cara said...

Thanks Lora! :) Now if only I could figure out a way to get paid for this stuff..... LOL

Lynnea said...

WOW!! That is incredible! How much of the "tower" is edible? Is that a dumb question...worry I'm cake illiterate!:-)

Cara said...

Lynnea, the tower itself isn't edible. It's styrofoam, cloth, ribbon, etc.
Only the cake on top and the cupcakes are edible. :)

k2 said...

Cara-
Glad your feeling better and can I just say WOW on the Tower of Yummy - I am SO impressed!
k2

George said...

Wow, so awesome! Did you see my cousins site? She is decorating cakes too and you two may be able to share ideas and stuff. She does it out of her house and this is only after she is done caring for her 3 kids and her RN job. I have no clue how she does it.

Aly said...

Wow Cara, that came out so awesome! You SHOULD be proud! I know what you mean about hours of work... ugh! Did you get that stand idea from cake journal? It looks very similar to one on that site. Very cute! Keep it up! :)

Cara said...

Aly-it did come from cake journal...but I made some adjustments for it. I didn't just sit them on top of each other. I drove dowel rods through it so it would stay together. I can't use it again unless the colors match, but that's okay.... I was afraid it would fall apart if I just sat the levels on top of each other.