Friday, February 6, 2009

Scared Silly.

I'm not really sure what to do. I was approved for my CGMS back in February of last year. I didn't have any problems getting approved. It just went through and I was hooked up with in about 6 weeks. I feel so grateful and blessed that was the case for me. MiniMed was essential in my getting approved and they went above and beyond when it came to getting me the information I needed and getting all of the paperwork to my doctors.
Since going on CGMS I feel I have much better control. It's been so important to me. In fact, I have discovered that any time I am off of my sensor, my blood sugar goes a little crazy. At one point, I even believe the sensor saved my life by waking me in the night when I had a low.
I live alone and nighttime lows were always a worry of mine. Then the hypoglycemic unawareness because a problem in the daytime too. I would be walking around talking and my blood sugar would be in the 30s or 40s.
It was a blessing from above to be approved for my CGMS.
About a week ago I realized I only had 2 sensors left in my box. I put one in and ordered a new box right away. Usually MiniMed is very quick in getting items to me. This time it was dragging on a little. It began to worry me. I usually take my sensor out after 7 days, but this time I have left it in. I am going to try to get at least another week out of it. I'm not sure how successful I'll be.
This afternoon I received a call from MiniMed. Apparently when my insurance company changed their "policy" it was required to get a new letter of medical necessity. They are supposed to be contacting my insurance company today and waiting to hear back from them. At this point, I have no idea how long that is going to be.
I have no idea how long I am going to have to go without a sensor. And I'm not even sure if they will approve it.
I'm scared.

3 comments:

Scott K. Johnson said...

Major suckage Cara. Sometimes that insurance that we depend on so much can be a royal pain in the ass.

Anonymous said...

Cara,
I'm sorry you are having so many problems. If you need a few sensors I can ship you some (free of charge). It seems to me that the hypoglycemic unawareness alone could be reason enough to approve the prescription.

Kevin Goble

(The Kevin from tudiabetes).

Naomi said...

Hey Cara! I got the "letter of medical necessity" lecture when we got Daniel the pump. We were not able to get a CGMS :(

I got your note about being here the 15th. When & where are you meeting? I have a couple of things on the calendar that day, but one of them is flexible.