Monday, November 19, 2012

Keeping It Stuck

The other day a fellow D-OC member posted something on facebook that another person was looking for ways to keep her daughter's CGMS taped down as it kept getting ripped out. I have a very complex system. Really. ;)
 
But I wanted to share it and since I changed sensors this morning, I thought I'd share through pictures how I keep my own sensor stuck.
 
As a note, I put my sensor in my leg, so all of these pictures are of my poor, white, pale legs. Sorry ahead of time.
 
I use cloth tape and two pieces of IV-3000 tape to keep my sensor in place.
 
 
I insert my sensor first.
 
 
Then I use a piece of cloth tape on the sticky part of my sensor.
 
 
Then I attach my transmitter.
 
 
Then I put another piece of tape over the plastic end of the sensor.
 
 
Then I put a piece of IV-3000 tape down.
 
 
I cup my hand over the tape after I pull the top off as the heat from your hand causes the tape to suction to your body. I can't remember who told me that, but it was someone on TuDiabetes.com.

 
Then I take a second piece of IV-3000 tape and put it the opposite direction (so that the two pieces of IV-3000 are kind of like a cross).
 
I also cup my hand over that piece to make it stick to me better.
 
And here's the final look!
 
 
It works. I've rarely had trouble with it coming out, though I sometimes have to replace the IV-3000 tape part way thru the life of my sensor.
 
I hope this helps some of you if you're new to CGMS. But remember: it's different for everyone. What works for me may not work for you.

4 comments:

Scott K. Johnson said...

Interesting! I never thought about that with the hand-heat and tape suction...

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for the pictures! I was the one looking for ideas to keep my daughter's sensor in. This really helps!!!!

StephenS said...

This is great! Love the how-to guide.

Sara said...

I've never heard the hand-heat thing either. Do you ever have trouble with the top not peeling off the bottom part. Sometimes it takes me 3 in a row before I get one that will separate.