Sunday, November 25, 2012

Diabetes and the Christmas Season

The Christmas season is upon us. There are so many things that come into play this time of year. Gift giving, card sending, baking, decorating, Christmas programs, family, travel, and a host of other things that, while not regulated to one time a year, rarely fall all at the same time of year.

It’s easy to let some things fall by the wayside when you’re dealing with all of these other things that seem to take precedence. One thing that seems to be an issue for many of us is caring for diabetes. I’ll be honest, after Diabetes Awareness month in November, being thrust directly into the Christmas season, I’m often burnt out this time of year. It’s understandable.

 
My work has a “December Days of Eating.” Really. That’s what we call it. Every work day of December that falls before Christmas, someone signs up to bring something to eat for the whole office. Most of the time it’s something terribly horrible for us all, but oh, so good. I have one co-worker that makes this amazing cheesy buttery French bread that I swear I look forward to all year long. Another loves to bring a cheese dip that includes sausage and salsa. Another is queen of desserts. I, myself, usually take something like cupcakes or cake.

I have Community Choir concerts, shopping for presents, addressing and mailing Christmas cards, dealing with family things (two Christmas dinners anyone?), and all the emotional baggage that comes with the holidays in general.

Add all of this together and I guess my question is, how do I keep things under some semblance of control? Anyone else have feelings like this? What do you do to keep yourself from going over the diabetes edge?

It seems like when Santa comes into camera view during the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade, my life goes insane until about the 3rd week of January. Help me (and whatever reader’s I may have) out. Give me some tips, or just share your own frustrations about this crazy time of year. I’ll thank you. I might even bake you a cupcake.

4 comments:

Sara said...

I have no advice! I feel like I could write the exact same post though!

Scott K. Johnson said...

I wish I had something smart and helpful to say. But unfortunately we'll have to settle for "I hear ya!"

StephenS said...

All I can say is try to keep the eating & drinking to as much of the same schedule as the rest of the year. But I realize that's really difficult to do sometimes. On the bright side, it's good to have all those goings-on through the holidays! Good luck.

Wendy said...

I try to do some preventive, healthier baking. Homemade granola bars with dark chocolate morsels and dried cherries are a favorite. If I eat one of those before going somewhere where I KNOW I'll be tempted to binge eat, I'm a little more full and less likely to go hog-wild. Plus, they're filling!