Friday, November 14, 2008

Happy World Diabetes Day?

Today's the day folks. And while I'm glad there's a day to bring awareness to this disease that effects so many people, I'd much rather just not have diabetes. I'm sure that most of you agree with me.

Often people ask, "What will you do when there's a cure?" I don't think about that very much. Mostly because diabetes has been with me for so long. I believe a cure is possible. I believe there will be one....someday. But for now, that hope for a cure is so deep inside me that I forget about it.

And like it's said every year, I hope this one is the last. But in all reality, I think it is probably not the last World Diabetes Day. So those of you who live close enough to somewhere that you can participate in the WDD activities, please do. And post your pictures and stories so I can be jealous. :P

Living in the middle of nowhere, there's nothing going on for WDD. So instead, I am getting up this morning, getting ready, and heading to work. Where my co-worker's husband is a T1 and my supervisor's daughter is a T1, another co-worker is a T2 and two other co-workers' husbands are T2. In a small office of about 15 people, there are at least 6 of us that are directly effected by this disease.


Here are so sobering facts that were sent to me in an e-mail from Diabetes Daily:


First, let these numbers really sink in:
-Every 10 seconds a person dies from diabetes-related causes.
-Every 10 seconds two people develop diabetes.
-Over 250 million people live with diabetes worldwide. In 2025, this figure will reach 380 million.
-More than 200 children a day develop type 1 diabetes.
-In developing countries, close to 75,000 children live with diabetes in desperate circumstances.
-Type 1 diabetes is increasing fastest in pre-school children, at a rate of 5% each year.
-Type 2 diabetes has been reported in children as young as eight.
-Type 2 diabetes affects children in both developed and developing countries.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I'm like you - I don't believe this will be the last World Diabetes Day . . . not by a long shot. But I'm glad we all have a day to pull together and get the word out.