Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Making the low go...


Day 2 of Diabetes Blog Week. Making the low go. Sure, we all have our guilty pleasures. That ice cream or candy we eat when we're low and can "get away" with it. I try to keep that kind of stuff out of my house for the simple fact that I don't eat it when I'm low...I eat it all the time!
One thing I try to keep on me and in my house at all times is juice boxes. They are quick, easy, and taste way better than glucose tabs.

Apple juice is my juice of choice. Sadly, most juice boxes are around 25 grams of carbs. Since 15 grams is where we're supposed to stop, I'm stuck with trying to stop partway through a juice box. At one point, I used to be able to get these (not the whole jug, of course):


They were 12 grams of carbs. Basically, perfect for treating a low. Sadly, the only store in my town that carried them, no longer does. So I've reverted back to my 25 gram boxes. Sometimes I can find them when I go out of town, and if I do buy them, I buy around 4 or 5 packs. Cause I'm weird like that. LOL

I try to carry some glucose tabs around in my purse "in case of emergency", but I really don't use them often, because....well, I just don't like them. I had a flavor I semi-tolerated that was at Wal-Mart, but they quit carrying them, so I've just purchased a new flavor. Raspberry. We'll see how that goes. In all reality, I only use them as a last resort.

So, D-OC, that's how I make my low go. What about you?

8 comments:

Holly said...

I have found some Minute Maid juice boxes that are 15 g of carbs each. Just enough.

My fav sugar tablet flavor is raspberry, so I think you've got a good stash with you. ;-)

Andrea said...

I hear ya about the glucose tabs. I carry them in my purse but they are not my first option.

My problem with the juice boxes is keeping them around with two little ones in the house. LOL! They always disappear so fast.

Great post!

Anonymous said...

Looks like we treat our lows the same. Luckily I haven't had a hard time finding the mini juice boxes. I HATE glucose tabs but can tolerate the grape or apple if totally necessary. I'm loving what I'm learning from Diabetes Blog Week. Thanks for sharing!

HVS said...

I like most of the flavors of glucose tabs(orange is the exception). Juice is usually my go-to treatment of choice, though.

Anonymous said...

aw, it seems a lot of people in the d-oc use juice boxes, which i'm tempted to go back to- if only for those cute pictures on the front! :)

Glucose tabs do taste pretty crummy in general, but the pineapple ones aren't so bad!

Unknown said...

i need to just hop on the juice bandwagon. I have been using Glucose tabs forever and it's high time I upgrade.

Karen said...

So they stopped carrying your perfect juice and your favorite glucose tab flavor??? So not cool!

Unknown said...

Ditto what Karen said! They stopped both of your favorite flavors! I call bullshoot on that. :-)