Thursday, May 13, 2010

To carb or not to carb....


That is the question... (You all knew that was coming, right?)



There are many mixed opinions on carbs, and how to deal with them in the life of a diabetic. All of those opinions are mine, of course. :P


I go back and forth. People like Dr. Bernstein believe that you should consume very minimal amounts of carbs. Others believe that carbs can be consumed as long as insulin is given to cover it. I agree with both.


I know what you're thinking: "Wishy-washy much?"


Yes. I am.

I've read Dr. Bernstein's book. I understand, from my own experience, that the less carbs I consume, the easier my blood sugar is to control (just ask me on a day that I've skipped lunch because my blood sugar was high).


However, I am a self-proclaimed "carb-aholic". I love carbs. Sweet things, bread, chips, fruit, crackers, pasta. Yummy. I love it all. And that can make it very hard sometimes.


Technically, I don't eat a low carb diet. I pretty much eat whatever I want. I do make some exceptions. I eat very little cereal. I rarely eat white potatoes. Pizza is also a rarity. All of these are things that make my blood sugar very hard (nearly impossible) to control. It doesn't mean I never eat them. It just means I save it for a time when I know what's coming. And that I know I can handle the hours after as I bolus like a mad woman.


Sometimes nothing can replace a bowl of cereal. Or a slice of yummy, cheesy pizza. When those times hit, I indulge. And treat. And chalk it up to a crazy time in my life. But I don't feel guilty or angry at the outcome. I just handle it like I do any other high or low. One number at a time.


8 comments:

Kerri. said...

One number at a time, indeed! :D Great post, Cara.

Rachel said...

Good point - if you know the consequences of your actions and can accept them and deal with them, no reason to feel guilty or mad. This is what I TRY to do, anyways...

Crystal said...

One number at a time. One meal, one snack at a time.

To each their own, I say. Our bodies all differ, what works for one may not work for others.

If it works, work it.
And carb on. :-)

Anonymous said...

Exactly!! One number at a time...Perfect explanation.

Karen said...

I'm like you - I always seem to some how agree with both sides of any debate (including this one). I always say it's because I'm a Gemini. We "twins" see both sides. Agreed?? :)

Cherise said...

One number at a time:) test, correct and move on.

Anonymous said...

I like the theory of one number at a time. A prevailing theme from this day's post is moderation. I'm all for that to. As Crystal said, to each their own. It was great to learn from others about what they do.

Unknown said...

I think those indulgences in life are completely necessary. I know I couldn't stick with a low carb thing all the time, even though, like you say, I can see that my numbers are way easier to manage when I'm not eating so many carbs.