Monday, June 13, 2011

How Diabetes Care is Like Bacon

If that title didn't catch the attention of the D-OC, I give up. :) Most of you probably realize how crazy we are about bacon in the D-OC. Bacon and cupcakes. And sprinkles. And Sprinkles. Anyway, bacon is kind of a fantastical food. Add it to almost anything and it gets better.

Sunday morning I was cooking breakfast. I typically don't cook bacon because it's messy and makes my house smell like bacon for days, but I had family in town and I wanted to be a good host and decided to cook up some bacon. While I was standing there, I realized that I didn't know how my cousin liked his bacon. Bacon is a curious food. Some people like it crisp. Some like it burned. Some like it floppy. Some like it chewy. Some like it somewhere in between. Everyone likes their bacon differently. It's still bacon. It still serves the same purpose no matter how it's cooked. But everyone likes it cooked differently.

There I stood when the phrase "your diabetes may vary" popped into my head. :) And I immediately changed it to "your bacon may vary." And just like bacon, everyone's diabetes care is a little different. Every has food effect them differently. Everyone likes a different A1c. Each person has a different medicine or regimen that they take to care for their diabetes. Some people are comfortable when their blood sugar is 170. Others want it lower. Basically, it varies. You have to do what's comfortable for you and your health care provider.

Your diabetes care is different than mine. Just like I'm guessing your like your bacon cooked differently from mine. So, remember that "your diabetes may vary" just like "your bacon may vary." I think it's important to remember in a large community like ours. We have to cheer on and encourage, while remembering not to hold everyone to the same standards that we hold ourselves.

7 comments:

Colleen said...

I'll take crispy, please.

George said...

That is great analogy and an awesome picture! I love me some bacon!!

The DL said...

now I really want bacon...

Wendy said...

I like my bacon candied with an extra bolus, please!

Meri said...

I like my bacon a little crispy. And I like my blog reading to be just like this! Great analogy!

Karen said...

Very well said. And now, I need some BACON!!

Symptoms of diabetes said...

I need some bacon now! Great post!