Sunday, October 14, 2007

The Craziest Hobby Ever (For a Diabetic)


There are people who's names fit them. Like the dentist named Moller. Or the teacher named Learner. It happens. Sometimes people and things just fit together. I am a little bit different than that. I have a lot of different hobbies. I love, love, love to scrapbook! I like to sew, and have been learning to knit. I also like to cook. I read everything I can get my hands on.

But I have this one hobby that should be a total no-no for a diabetic. I love to decorate cakes. Yeah, I know its crazy. Let's give the diabetic a cake mix and a 2 pound bag of powdered sugar and let her make a cake. It makes perfect sense, right? Or not. Sometime I wonder if inhaling all that powdered sugar, as I am making my frosting, is making my blood sugar go up. Is that even possible? I don't know.

But all you diabetics, know that I don't actually eat all the cakes I make. I usually take them to family, or friends, or to work (they love going in the break room and seeing a cake). Yesterday I made a cake and took it to my neighbors today. I didn't even taste it.

I just find it kind of ironic, that as a diabetic, I would pick a hobby that puts me in close contact with the very types of foods that we should stay away from. Or at least only have in moderation. Oh well, I never claimed that I was normal. It's just something else about me that is hard to explain.
Is there anything that you like to do that doesn't fit "the mold" of a diabetic?

5 comments:

Donna said...

The cake is soooo cute! My mother-in-law makes / decorates cakes (mostly for family - birthdays, weddings, etc.) They are always beautiful & she just loves making them.

It's nice you have a hobby you enjoy & are so good at - even if it doesn't really coincide with having diabetes. I wouldn't have your self-control. I would have to sample them. Good thing I don't make the cakes in the family, huh? I better leave that to my mother-in-law.

Anonymous said...

Years ago, before glucose gels were available, I always carried a small tube of cake decorating frosting in my pocket to guard against lows. That's as close to cake baking as I ever got.

I'm with Donna -- no way could I NOT sample the goods.

Bernard said...

Cara

I'm with you. I do a lot of baking and then try to give it away or avoid eating it.

Thankfully my 3 children do a good job of devouring anything I produce. Made some chocolate chip cookies on Monday for a bake sale. My daughter ended up buying back four cookies for herself. :-)

And of course it's apple pie season so I've made about five of those over the last month or so.

I don't think it's self-destructive behavior or anything like that. It's just something I enjoy doing.

And I do 'sample' the cookie dough sometimes.

Unknown said...

I don't think there's anything wrong with a hobby that involves baking and/or decorating cakes. It's a passion of yours, and that's cool.

The cake on your blog is really cute. Cute isn't the right word, but you get my drift.

Anonymous said...

That cake is awesome! I'm a cookie baker. Fortunately, I don't even like cookies! I love cake though... I would be in trouble around you :)

I think baking is a great creative outlet.