Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Fourth Times a Charm?

I swear, sometimes diabetes just likes to raise a fuss. It does it in whatever way it can and causes as much trouble as possible in as short a span of time as possible. A couple of days ago my blood sugars starting running on the high side. I wasn't sure why. It happens sometimes. But I dealt with it. I thought.

I was at work and I ended up bolusing ALL DAY LONG. It felt crazy. I figured I was 3 days into my infusion set, so my site was probably going bad. I didn't change it at work cause I only had and hour left. I decided to wait until I got home.

When I got home I grabbed my dinner and heated it up. As it was heating, I did a site change. New insulin, new site, ready to go. I bolused and started to eat. Not 30 seconds in, I get a "No Delivery" alarm. GAHH!

Okay, I hate "No Delivery" alarms. They are annoying. I don't know why I get them and nine times out of ten, my cannula isn't bent. But it still ends up requiring me to replace a set. I took out my new set and cleaned with alcohol and popped in a new set.

Problem? Um.... I didn't wait for the alcohol to dry. Guess what... sticky doesn't stick when it's still wet from alcohol. And you know what that means? Another infusion site.

At this point it was infusion set number THREE for me.

I finally bolused and ate dinner.

And waited. My blood sugar wasn't coming down. It was going up, up, up! I tried bolusing again. And by the time it was time for me to go to bed, it was obvious that my blood sugar wasn't coming down. I took a chance on the fact that I had ANOTHER bad site and ripped out my third site and put in a fourth.

I bolused again and set my phone alarm to wake me up at 2 a.m. for a middle of the night test.
I was 170 at that point. I bolused again and when I woke up I was in the 140s.

I figured I had taken care of the problem. But I ended up running my insulin pump on 120% basal for most of the morning.

It's almost like my body revolted on me after the initial high. After lunch, everything went back to normal and I've been doing well since then.

What's annoying is that it took FOUR new infusion sites and a day and a half of insane bolusing to get my blood sugars back to where they should be.

So.... maybe fourth times a charm?


Alecia said...

Glad you got your bg back down! I would have gone nutso by the 3rd changing! 4? OMG and ugh! It's amazing we don't go bananas mentally taking care of ourselves physically. xo

Unknown said...


I hope the numbers are better, and you're back to feeling yourself again!

StephenS said...

Four... wow. That's the very definition of perseverance. Glad things are back to normal.

Jess said...

I hate, hate, HATE it when this happens! Doesn't it make you feel like you're going crazy? Makes me feel like I'm losing my mind.

Hope the bgs are better and that you're feeling better!

Scott K. Johnson said...

Major suckage, yo.

Mike Hoskins said...

Bummer! Can't stand it when those No Delivery alarms happen. Most often for me, it's when I leave the set in for too long and it just can't handle that site any longer.

whimsy2 said...

That's one of the reasons I don't have a pump. Syringes or pens are dependable. And really, easy. I just have to remember to do it.